Saturday, September 19, 2009
Working through it!!
So things have been a bit strange for me lately. My parents are going through a divorce right now and it is really hard for me to think about, I try to put it in the back of my head and not think about it because it hurts to much. Most of the time not thinking about it helps but it really hits me when we have family gatherings and one of my parents is not there. It makes me upset. I have heard that it is easier for an adult to go through their parents divorce then it is for a child, but after going through it myself I think that they are equally hard. I'm starting to realize that things will never be the same again. Like what do I do about holidays? My parents dating? Moving on with things in general? Last year for Christmas I made my parents a decoration for their house, it was a painted wooden board with their last name on it and the word established with the year they were married. It breaks my heart every time I go to their house and see it. I wish I would have never made that board! I have told both parents that I am not a part of their divorce and I have asked them to leave me out of all the details. I hate that I have to go through this! I know this happens a lot in life with many families but when you think of the concept of an eternal family I think it definitely makes things more difficult. Well I really just had to write down my thoughts, but if anyone has any thoughts on this topic or helpful tips feel free to leave a comment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I know how hard this is. It's hard having a split family. I think that it will be hard for a while. But once you get used to the idea, and get past the Holidays, it will get easier to deal with. My parents have been divorced since I was a child and Holidays are still tough for me. You just have to take this experience as a learning experience. Now you and Steven know what mistakes not to make. Maybe this will help you to try even harder at your own marriage. If you ever need a shoulder or an ear I am here. :)
Ditto on what Kristen said! I feel like I would have written the exact same words that you wrote, two years ago.
It's definitely not an easy thing to get through... I need the advise myself because I am still trying to deal! Time is a healer, but I still have a lot of raw emotions that flare up inside of me when I am around my family and especially when I am in the temple.
I guess after awhile of such drama, hostility and unhappiness, the only thing I wanted for both of them was to be happy again in their separate lives. I can't control the decisions they make, I can just pray for them and make sure that I can forgive and accept change (which is easier said then done!)
I hope things get better for you and your fam, some things get easier to deal with then others.
Sorry I've had to be flaky when we were supposed to hang out... i guess we have a lot in common to discuss! Love ya!
I don't really have advice...but just know that I care about you and I am praying for you to be able to deal with this in the way that you see fit. Remember to turn to your Heavenly Father for comfort! He will always be there for you!
i too don't have any advice but just keep hanging in there and keep praying... :)
ps- i love you and know i'm always here for you!
I am so sorry that you have to deal with all this. I belive that it doesn't matter how old you are when your parents split up it's the pits for everyone and you as the child go through all the hurt and saddness that a little one goes through. It doesn't matter if you live at home still or not- divorse affects you, hard. Even though I don't really know how to help I'm always happy to listen.
We're hoping to have a BBQ soon - and hopefully everyone will come to this one :)
I know its hard and hopefully it gets better for everyone soon.
Candace, I'm so sorry. We love you and Steven like crazy and are here if you need anything. Congrats on the pregnancy too!!!
Post a Comment